Since grilling is an integral part of summer fun, you’ll find some tried-and-tested marinade recipes along with some tips on how to marinate your chicken in it for maximum enjoyment. Take your grilling experience to a new level with us.
How to marinate chicken – Types of marinades and recipes
Grilled chicken wings – grilled chicken steak
How to properly prepare marinade and marinate chicken
There are many ways to make a delicious marinade. However, they should always be the basis for a quality marinade two components:
- sour (eg vinegar or lemon juice)
- greasy (eg vegetable oil)
Then you add various spices, herbs and ingredients that you can experiment with in your own way. In addition, chicken meat has the convenient property of absorbing all possible flavors, so you can freely experiment with the preparation of the marinade without worrying about making a mess.
Mix the marinade for the chicken and check the marinating time
To make your marinade as tasty as possible, beat the ingredients in a blender acids and fats mix best and blends perfectly into a smooth and juicy mixture. Vigorous shaking in a closed glass (for example, made of cucumbers) also works very well.
The longer you leave the marinade with the acidic ingredients on the chicken, the tougher and drier the surface of the meat will become. Therefore, it is not a good idea to leave the meat marinated in the marinade overnight. The ideal length for marinating is 5 to 6 hours.
If you do not add acidic elements to the marinade, you can leave the meat pickled up to 24 hours.
How marinades work
Since oil and fat do not fully penetrate the meat, marinades “only” form a surface flavor. Salt, on the other hand, relaxes muscle fibers and in sufficient quantities (at least 1.5 spoons of salt per 250 ml of liquid) penetrates deeper into the meat.
For this purpose, it is also possible to add chicken salt solution.
How to salt chicken
By submerging the meat in a salty liquid/solution, the meat acquires a better taste, softens and absorbs moisture. This way, the chicken will remain juicier when baking or grilling.
- To prepare chicken brine, you only need water and salt, while use 60 grams of salt per liter of water.
- Then immerse the meat in the solution and leave it in the refrigerator 12 to 24 hours.
- Then remove the chicken, dry it and ideally coat it with butter before baking or grilling.
(You can use different types of salt with different effects.)
The best marinades for chicken
There are many options for preparing marinade, including various exotic varieties. However, for the following recipes, you will need simple homemade ingredients from which you can conjure up first-class chicken marinades.
- Simple/classic marinade
- Marinade with herbs
- Marinade with yogurt
Easy Marinade for Chicken (Best for Slices and Noodles)
This marinade is perfect for chicken, and it doesn’t take much time to prepare. As a side dish to the meat, you can serve steamed potatoes seasoned with cumin.
A simple marinade recipe – ingredients
A simple marinade recipe – step by step
(Tip: The meat is best grilled on medium heat for 6-10 minutes on each side, until cooked.)
Rating of simple marinade for chicken: 8.5/10
- Preparation time: Within 10 minutes
- Difficulties: light
- Keys: Recognizable and easy to combine with various accessories
Chicken marinade with herbs
Herbs give grilled meat a characteristic taste that you can experience thanks to this marinade enriched with the essence of olive oil and the taste of lemon.
- parsley (2 tablespoons)
- ground rosemary (2 teaspoons)
- Chopped thyme (2 teaspoons)
- dried sage (1 teaspoon)
- garlic (3 cloves)
- Olive oil (¼ cup)
- balsamic vinegar (½ cup)
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Lemon juice
- Mix the ingredients and blend.
- Place the meat in a non-porous glass container or bowl and pour the mixed marinade over it.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate marinate for at least 2 hours. If you are not pressed for time, you can leave the meat to marinate for up to 2 days.
(Tip: Brush the meat with lemon juice after grilling to enhance the flavor of the chicken and herbs.)
Marinade with yogurt
This yogurt marinade is extremely delicious thank you a combination of spicy taste, strong spices with a pinch of garlic and coriander. Perfect for a family barbecue on the weekend with all your favorite summer side dishes.
- Full-fat Greek yogurt (2/3 cup)
- Salt and pepper (1 teaspoon each – or to taste)
- Olive oil (2 tablespoons)
- Lemon juice (2 tablespoons) + a teaspoon of lemon peel
- minced garlic (2 tablespoons)
- ground ginger (2 tablespoons)
- Ground cumin, coriander and paprika (1 teaspoon each)
- Cayenne pepper and cinnamon (1/4 teaspoon each)
- Mix all the ingredients.
- Pour the marinade over the meat, wrap it in a bag or cover it in a bowl and leave it to marinate in the refrigerator at least 2 hoursso that the aroma of the marinade is sufficiently absorbed.
- We recommend that you marinate the chicken breast for a maximum of 8 hours, you can marinate the chicken thighs for up to 24 hours.
(Tip: Try this recipe for the cucumber radish salad.)
What is the best marinade for baked chicken wings
Juicy, well-seasoned chicken wings with a crispy crust are definitely a favorite treat for summer barbecues. At the same time, preparing this delicacy is not difficult:
- Garlic powder
- Black onion in granules
- Caraway seeds
- Cayenne or black pepper
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Soy sauce
- Mix all the ingredients carefully.
- Brush the wings so that all parts are covered. It is best to use a bowl.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and place in the fridge marinate for 4 to 12 hours.
(Tip: Take the pickled chicken out of the fridge at least half an hour before grilling, so it has time to reach room temperature. In the meantime, you can mix the drink and warm up your palate.
The best marinade for grilled chicken steak
Thanks to this proven recipe, you don’t have to go to the steakhouse for a juicy chicken steak. You probably won’t even need to go to the grocery store for these few ingredients:
- soy sauce (1⁄3 cup)
- olive oil (1⁄2 cup)
- fresh lemon juice (1⁄3 cup)
- Worcestershire sauce (1⁄4 cup)
- garlic powder (1 and a half spoon)
- dried basil (3 tablespoons)
- dried parsley flakes (1 and a half spoons)
- White pepper (1 teaspoon) Salt (1⁄3 teaspoon)
You can also add:
- Hot pepper sauce (1⁄4 teaspoon)
- 1 clove of garlic
- Put all the ingredients in a blender or a large bowl and blend for about 2-3 minutes.
- Place the meat in a bowl and cover on all sides.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside marinate for about 8 hours.
(Tip: brush the chicken slices with olive oil before grilling to prevent them from burning. We recommend a light Pohlreich potato salad as a side dish.)